Job Category: Regular Support Staff
FVTC Worksite: Appleton Main Campus
Hourly Rate: $25.76
Hours Per Week: 40
Note to internal applicants:
Do not apply via this portal. Login to your Workday Account and Find Internal Career Opportunities through the Internal Portal.
Job Description Summary
The Benefits Specialist is responsible for the day-to-day administration of FVTC benefits programs (health, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, voluntary benefits, retirement plans, worker's compensation, etc.) and time off plans (FMLA, disability, paid time off, etc.) in accordance with applicable laws, policies, procedures, and practices. This position provides excellent customer service.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Conducts benefit orientation and open enrollment presentations. Explains benefit eligibility, costs, and coverage levels. Designs and maintains benefit materials in collaboration with our insurance broker. Responds to employee benefit questions in a timely manner. Provides guidance to employees at time of enrollment and to those navigating claims issues.
- Facilitates new hire benefit enrollments, life event changes, and terminations. Reviews employee eligibility for WRS and processes enrollments. Ensures benefit vendors receive enrollment information; process enrollments for those that are not part of integrations.
- Serves as the primary contact for benefit plan vendors, third-party administrators, and individuals with questions on the benefit plans.
- Coordinates leave-of-absence requests including Worker’s Compensation, Disability, and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) in compliance with State and Federal Laws, as well as FVTC policies and procedures. Updates information in Human Resources Information System.
- Maintains compliance with the Federal COBRA laws by monitoring and maintaining integrations with our COBRA administrator and reviewing and sharing COBRA enrollment and payment reports.
- Monitors and prepares information for retirees regarding their health and dental premium billing, collects monthly retiree premium payments, and monitor payment status.
- Processes, audits, and reconciles monthly benefit reports and premium payments.
- Follows applicable government regulations, including but not limited to Affordable Care Act and 1095-C processing and monitoring, non-discrimination testing, benefit notices, CMS disclosure, etc. Ensures timeliness and accuracy of required reporting and fees.
- Collaborates with insurance broker and Benefits Lead to analyze current benefits, evaluating the use, services, coverage, effectiveness, cost, plan experience and competitive trends in benefits programs, and recommends changes.
- Coordinates the accommodation request process. Works with employees, managers, and Human Resources Business Partner to review/approve accommodations.
- Documents and maintains procedures for benefits processes. Evaluates and revises internal processes to reduce costs and increase efficiency.
- Stays knowledgeable on Human Resources Information System, particular in the area of Benefits and Absence. Completes tests to ensure system functions as intended.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist with configuration of Benefits and Absence plans in Human Resources Information System (Workday).
- Review and promote wellness offerings.
- Assist in the coordination of services and relationship with Campus Care Clinic provider and overseeing the services provided by the Campus Care Clinic.
- Perform projects and other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE
- Associate degree, preferably in Business or Human Resources, AND
- Two to three years of recent related benefits administration and systems experience, AND,
- Experience working with HR Information System (preferably Workday), AND
- Advanced Microsoft Word and Excel skills, OR
- An equivalent combination of related education, training, and experience.
ESSENTIAL APTITUDES, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Exceptional customer service skills and the ability to maintain an excellent working relationship with internal and external customers.
- Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to use Microsoft products, including PowerPoint; experience with HRIS and benefits databases.
- Effective planning and priority setting. Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills and a thorough knowledge of plan designs.
- Strong research, project scheduling and project management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, as well as good listening skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to perform independently.
- Flexibility in work schedule is required.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude, maturity, initiative, and integrity with a professional image contributing to the success of the College.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to work with diverse student, staff, and community populations.
- Ability to identify needed action without continual direction.
Starting pay: $25.76 per hour.
Note: Internal applicants' wage will be based upon the applicable compensation structure.
FVTC strongly and actively strives to increase diversity and provide equal opportunity within its community. FVTC does not discriminate against persons based on age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, height, marital status, national origin, political persuasion, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, veteran status, weight or any other protected class.
Fox Valley Technical College® has been the college of choice in our community for over 100 years. This is because of our outstanding employees. People enjoy working at FVTC because of our collaborative and innovative culture. We celebrate diversity, support equity and inclusiveness, and encourages individual expression in our workplace. Our focus is on helping people get the skills they need to succeed in their chosen career.