Manager, Employee Health and Wellness
Job Title: Manager, Employee Health and Wellness
Reports to (Title): Director Employee Benefits and Wellness
Job Code: E05154
Department Name and Work Location: Medical, Des Moines, IA
FLSA Status: Exempt
I. Job Summary | Major goals and objectives.
Provide strategic direction, leadership and management of Meredith’s corporate health strategy to optimize well-being and contain health care costs.
II. Essential Job Functions
Accountabilities, Actions and Expected Measurable Results
Leads in the design, delivery, marketing and evaluation of Meredith’s comprehensive health and wellness strategy. Monitors trends in medical and pharmacy claim activity to identify cost drivers and opportunities. Develops and employs companywide cost containment, health improvement and healthcare consumerism initiatives. Offers strategic, value-added and integrated solutions for the business.
Manages and evaluates wellness vendors against defined performance measures. Serves as a liaison for the wellness coaching providers and establishes metrics to evaluate the impact of the program.
Oversees the direction, day-to-day operations and staffing of the on-site medical clinic. Establishes a long-term strategy and business model to ensure alignment with the overall business direction. Assures medically related legal compliance and establishes or revises health-related policies. Manages the executive health program and EAP services. Provides health-related counseling and support.
Remains current on health management trends, best practices, and regulatory issues in order to provide proactive consultation to management and serve as an internal health expert. Partners with Meredith departments, counsel and vendors to administer FMLA, ADA, Disability, Return to Work, Workers’ Compensation and Blood Borne Pathogens compliance programs.
Guides company-wide emergency planning and response. Advises employees how to respond to emergency situations in the workplace. Guides Meredith’s pandemic planning protocol. Participates in business continuation planning and post exposure protocol.
Serves as subject matter expert for medically related health information. Monitors infectious disease updates from CDC. Notifies international travelers of applicable travel advisories. Facilitates internal and external partnerships to create a broad network of resources to meet the needs of a diverse workforce.
III. Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
Licensed Registered Nurse. Bachelor’s degree in a health-related field with a graduate degree or advanced professional development in health promotion, health care management, occupational health, public health, and/or business management.
Five to seven years of experience leading a comprehensive health and wellness strategy within a corporate setting across multiple locations. Demonstrated industry experience designing and implementing best-in-class health and wellness programming. Experience in strategic planning, data analysis and evaluation, program development, communication, marketing and training. Supervisory experience. Expertise in FMLA, ADA, OSHA, Workers’ Compensation, HIPAA, work accomodations, and occupational health preferred.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess a working knowledge of family medicine, occupational health, public health, communicable disease, medical standards and practice and related laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of health promotion, disease management, health care, employee benefits and human resources.
- Ability to keep current regarding scientific updates and social issues relating to health-related topics.
- Innovative, creative, solutions-oriented. Excellent conceptual, planning and organization skills.
- Collection, analysis, and application of data for effective program design and measurement.
- Ability to demonstrate measurable results based on business needs.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Effective education, consultation, coaching and presentation skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with employees, management and vendors.
- Awareness and existing relationships within the medical community.
- Good clinical and analytical skills to meet diverse roles and responsibilities.
- Ability to apply knowledge and intuition while reacting to unusual or emergent medical situations.
- Works well independently and as part of a team. Demonstrated collaborative, creative marketing and priority-setting skills.
- Strong work ethic with a commitment to confidentiality and customer service excellence.
- Phlebotomy skills required.
- Computer proficiency including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and the Internet.
- % Travel Required (Approximate): 5%