Wellness Education Specialist
Gundersen - Front Street Building
La Crosse, WI
Love + medicine is who we are, it's what we do, it's why people want to work here. If you’re looking for a job to love, apply today.
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40
Wellness Coach Certification highly preferred.
In collaboration with internal and external resources, the Wellness Education Specialist is a consultant that develops and maintains programs that promote healthy behavior change and health education, supporting population health initiatives. The Wellness Education Specialist assesses, coordinates, implements and evaluates programming relative to designated focus areas to ensure the goals and objectives of the department are accomplished within prescribed time frames and budget parameters. Programming is accomplished in consideration of corporate initiatives that may include Systems of Excellence, disease management, and service line development. The Wellness Education Specialist also assists in the coordination of health risk appraisal assessments, conducting health screens and wellness coaching.
1. Provides leadership and advocacy, and serves as a consultant within the organization and community, planning and implementing wellness programming and special events guided by the spirit of collaboration and cooperation.
2. Designs, plans and implements programs in health & wellness and in collaboration with other key staff. This includes wellness coaching and teaching classes that involve employees, patients and the community.
3. Facilitate Gundersen Health System's initiatives related to employee wellness activities and population health including creating and distributing promotional and educational materials.
4. Demonstrate ongoing need and value by maintaining and analyzing data on programming including participation and attendance, revenue/expenses, survey results, evaluation/impact analysis, etc
5. Represent Gundersen Health System and participate in designated community organizations/committees related to focus areas; develop and strengthen external collaborations and partnerships.
6. Serve as liaison to designated patient service team.
7. Conduct on-site worksite biometric screening, at times during non-traditional business hours including early morning, including point of care testing throughout the Gundersen service area, maintaining an effective screening process that provides user-friendly results for the employee and meaningful reporting for the employer.
8. Point of care and blood pressure testing proficiency.
9. For Office of Population Health only - completes Wellness Coaching education within the first year of hire and any additional education required for area of responsibility which may include nicotine cessation, Heartmath and/or disease specific training.
10. Performs other job-related responsibilities as requested.
Education and Learning:
Bachelor's degree in a related field Health Education
Master's degree in a related field
5-7 years experience as a health educator or related role; demonstrated program planning, implementation and evaluation.
1 year experience in corporate wellness with demonstrated outcomes.
License and Certifications:
Current American Heart Association (AHA) Healthcare Provider CPR certification; Heart Saver, Rescue and Military training network CPR; or the American Red Cross CPR certification (CPR) except Citizen and Animal classes within three months of hire
Valid Driver's License (DL)
Wellness Council of America Certification (WELCOA)Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES)
Age Specific Population Served:
Pediatric (1 - 12 years)
Adolescent (13 - 17 years)
Adult (18 - 64 years)
Geriatric (65 years & older)
Category I - All Employees in this job title have a reasonably anticipated risk of occupational exposure to blood and/or other potentially infectious materials.
Subject to inside environmental conditions.
Subject to outside environmental conditions.
Exposed to infectious diseases.
Required to function in narrow aisles or passageways.
Subject to atmospheric conditions.
Physical Requirements/Demands Of The Position:
Sitting Frequently (34-66% or 5.5 hours)
Static Standing Frequently (34-66% or 5.5 hours)
Walking/Standing Rarely (1-5% or .5 hours)
Driving Frequently (34-66% or 5.5 hours)
Stooping/Bending Frequently (34-66% or 5.5 hours)
Squatting Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours)
Kneeling/Half Kneel Rarely (1-5% or .5 hours)
Climbing Stair Rarely (1-5% or .5 hours)
Reaching - Shoulder Level Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours)
Reaching - Below Shoulder Frequently (34-66% or 5.5 hours)
Reaching - Above Shoulder Rarely (1-5% or .5 hours)
Repetitive Actions - Pinch Forces Rarely (1-5% or .5 hours) Pounds of force 0-25
Repetitive Actions - Grip Forces Rarely (1-5% or .5 hours) Pounds of force 0-25
Repetitive Actions - Fine Manipulation Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours)
Lifting - Waist to Overhead Rarely (1-5% or .5 hours) Number of lbs 0-25
Lifting - Other Rarely (1-5% or .5 hours) Number of lbs 0-25
Carrying - Long Carry (>50 feet) Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours) Number of lbs 0-25
Carrying - Short Carry Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours) Number of lbs 0-25
Carrying - Right Carry Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours) Number of lbs 0-25
Carrying - Left Carry Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours) Number of lbs 0-25
Push/Pull (Static Force) Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours) Number of lbs 0-25
If you need assistance with any portion of the application or have questions about the position, please contact HR-Recruitment@gundersenhealth.org or call 608-775-0267
Equal Opportunity Employer