Fitness Specialist: Divine Savior Healthcare
Facility: Divine Savior Healthcare
Shift: Varied Shifts
Hours: Hours will vary between 5:30am-10:00pm, rotating weekends
Job Details: Bachelor of Science
Experience strongly preferred
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides instruction and assistance to La Vita members regarding their individual fitness and exercise programs, ensuring proper and safe use of all exercise equipment and facilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides personal, comprehensive fitness assessments and develops customized and appropriate exercise workout programs that meet the specific goals and objectives of individual members of La Vita by following best practices.
- Adjusts client programs to accommodate age, medical conditions and goals
- Provides floor coverage of main workout areas in order to monitor the safe and effective usage of all cardiovascular and strength training equipment. Covers other fitness areas as assigned.
- Assists with the cleanliness and maintenance of cardiovascular and strength training equipment.
- Provides tours of La Vita and provides membership information to potential members in a professional manner as needed and instructed by the Member Services & Sales Supervisor.
- Attends all scheduled staff meetings in order to maintain effective communication among fitness staff and all other departments, as well as maintaining awareness about all La Vita programs, services and promotions.
- Stays up-to-date with changing health and fitness practices in alignment with best standards (e.g., ACSM).
- Provides occasional coverage of the Member Service Desk as needed.
- Models the Divine Service Standards in all interactions and activities.
- Bachelor's degree in Exercise Science or industry equivalent with advanced knowledge of standard fitness and health screening procedures, standard anatomy and physiology, and exercise prescription.
- One year fitness instructor or personal trainer experience.
- Group fitness certifications and teaching experience is preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively with management of fitness center staff, colleagues, members and guests of La Vita.
- Ability to maintain a personal proficiency of health and fitness by practicing sound nutrition and fitness principles
- Current American Heart Association BLS or American Red Cross CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care
- Providers Certification. Non-certified employees must attain certification within 60 days of employment in position.
- Current First Aid certification.
- Reports directly to the Preventive Health & Wellness Services Director and Fitness Supervisor.
- Regular contact with Divine Savior staff and the public.
- Work is performed largely in a pleasant fitness center environment with minimal chance for personal injury.
- Occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions.
- Occasionally exposed to fumes, airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock and risk of radiation.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Personal physical strength, flexibility and overall conditioning required to safely demonstrate proper use of exercise equipment and assist La Vita members in the use of such equipment.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel or crouch.
- Occasionally required to sit or climb.
- Required to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds of department supplies and equipment.
- Occasionally may need to move patients and/or equipment of more than 100 pounds.
- Requires specific vision abilities for far vision, near vision, depth perception, colors, accommodation and peripheral vision.
- Vision correctable to 20/40.
Acknowledgement: This job description/evaluation describes the general nature and level of work performed by an employee assigned to this position. It does not state or imply that these are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the job. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested by the department manager or administration. All requirements are subject to change over time and to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.