BENEFITS AND WELLNESS COORDINATOR
Requesting Department DER - EMPLOYEE BENEFITS ADMIN
Open Date: 8/16/2016
Filing Deadline: 9/6/2016 11:59:00 PM
This position will help coordinate and administer all aspects of the City’s benefits programs with a special focus on healthcare and wellness. By analyzing the City’s health, wellness and safety data trends the Benefits and Wellness Coordinator will assist the Employee Benefit Director in the development and implementation of strategies to effectively manage those programs and encourage employee participation. This position participates in annual benefit plan design review and implementation, strategic planning, and communication of the City’s comprehensive wellness program and other benefit programs. Additionally, this position provides analysis and recommendations on financial impacts and performance results relating to various high level programs and accounts.
- Assist in the communication of the City’s benefit programs (especially healthcare and wellness) including plan options, policy features, enrollment and other requirements.
- Evaluate and compare existing benefits with those of other employers by analyzing plans, surveys and other sources of information. Plans, develops and/or participates in area and industry surveys.
- Work with vendor partners to coordinate and implement healthcare and wellness programming.
- Responsible for gathering and analyzing data and information for various benefit programs to measure the success of program initiatives and inform policy decisions.
- Prepare reports and other documents as necessary for numerous benefit programs.
- Make budget recommendations to Benefits Director regarding healthcare and wellness initiatives/programs.
- Assist in development, coordination and management of total health, safety and wellness programming to reduce injury and health risks, medical costs and encourage healthy lifestyles
- Stay current on changing Federal and State regulations and legislation that pertains to government agencies and affects employee benefits like healthcare and wellness.
- Assist with vendor selection, program implementation and other special projects as needed.
- Works closely with employee “Wellness Champions” and Workforce Health to facilitate participant understanding and knowledge of the City’s comprehensive wellness program as well as build enthusiasm and participation.
- Provide ongoing support to develop and champion employee benefit events, programs and services.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management, Public Administration, Health and Wellness or a related field from an accredited college or university.
2. Three years of progressively responsible experience in benefit program administration and plan design, including at least one year in the design, implementation or evaluation of wellness programs.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Previous experience with a large employer or the public sector.
- Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) designation.
- WELCOA Certified or similar certification.
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES & OTHER CHARACTERISTICS
- Knowledge of benefit plan design and administration.
- Knowledge of survey methodology and ability to interpret results.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis methods to determine trends.
- Analytical skills to interpret and report on trends in data.
- Oral communication skills to present data regarding the benefit plans in an effective, clear and concise manner.
- Written communication skills to develop and write reports and presentation materials referencing data.
- Computer skills to use Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to develop reports, statistical trends and presentations.
- Ability to assist with financial and budget projections.
- Ability to formulate policies and benefit plans and implement decisions.
- Ability to work cooperatively with team members, departments, vendors and City officials.
- Ability to initiate and complete projects with limited supervision.
- Assist in the measurement and evaluation of various program components.
- Ability to handle confidential employee information with discretion and good judgment.
- Ability to implement strategies to ensure engagement of vendors and to maximize employee participation and program effectiveness of wellness programs.
The starting salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $54,865 and for non-residents is $53,519 (Pay Range 2HX). Appointment is possible based on qualifications and experience.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after September 6, 2016. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
NOTE: For current information regarding the status of the City of Milwaukee’s residency requirement, please visit the Department of Employee Relations’ Website: http://city.milwaukee.gov/DER. Please call 414.286.3751 if you have questions regarding your individual circumstances as part of the application and/or selection process.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program which includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Flexible Spending Program
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Onsite Workplace Clinic
- Early Intervention PT Clinic and Wellness Center Alternative Work Schedules
- For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit www.city.milwaukee.gov/Benefits2016.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.