In 1991, WELCOA developed a unique and important worksite health promotion initiative. Sponsored locally by the Wellness Council of Wisconsin, Well City USA challenges local businesses and community leaders to work together and engage entire communities in improving the health and wellbeing of their workforces.
Well City USA status is achieved when a minimum of 20 organizations that collectively employ at least 20% of a community’s workforce become designated Well Workplaces within a three-year period. Each employer must complete WELCOA’s Well Workplace Award application to document their progress in developing their worksite wellness initiatives.
Nationally, only thirteen communities have previously achieved this prestigious honor. Of these, six are in Wisconsin.
- Well City Milwaukee: Silver Well City (2010), Bronze Well City (2015)
- Well City Racine: Bronze Well City (2012)
- Well Region Fox Cities: Bronze Well City (2013), Bronze Well City (2018)
- Well Oshkosh: Silver Well City (2014)
- Well City Fond du Lac: Bronze Well City (2016)
- Well County La Crosse: Silver Well City (2018)
Currently, Wisconsin has one active Well City project.